Addressing the UK on Tuesday morning, British PM Theresa May said Tuesday that UK security services probing Monday’s attack at a Manchester pop concert believe they know the identity of the suspect, but will not release the name until further confirmation.
May, who briefed the media outside 10 Downing Street, said the terror attack that killed at least 22 and injured 59, including many children and young people, “stood out for its “appalling, sickening cowardice.”
“While we experienced the worst of humanity in Manchester last night, we also saw the best,” she said. May also said he had chosen the time and the place to attack and cause “maximum carnage and to kill and injure indiscriminately.” May said security services “believe the attack was carried out by one man” but need to find out whether “he was acting alone or part of a wider group.”
Separately, Queen Elizabeth II also released a statement on Tuesday, offered her condolences to the victims of Monday’s attack.
“The whole nation has been shocked by the death and injury in Manchester last night of so many people, adults and children, who had just been enjoying a concert.
“I know I speak for everyone in expressing my deepest sympathy to all who have been affected by this dreadful event and especially to the families and friends of those who have died or were injured.
“I want to thank all the members of the emergency services, who have responded with such professionalism and care.
“And I would like to express my admiration for the way the people of Manchester have responded, with humanity and compassion, to this act of barbarity.”
Authorities in Manchester said Tuesday that it appears that an attacker detonated an improvised explosive device at the concert. It is not immediately clear if the attacker acted alone, but the person apparently died in the explosion. Moments ago, ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack.
— Shkar Sharif (@ShkarSharif) May 23, 2017
Police then said a 23-year-old man had been arrested in connection with the terrorist attack: “With regards to the ongoing investigation into last night’s horrific attack at the Manchester arena, we can confirm we have arrested a 23-year-old man in South Manchester,” Greater Manchester Police said in a statement.
With regards to last night’s incident at the Manchester arena, we can confirm we have arrested a 23-year-old man in South Manchester.
— G M Police (@gmpolice) May 23, 2017
Another man was arrested in the Arndale Shopping Centre on Tuesday, but this is not currently believed to be connected to Monday night’s attacks.
Finally, speaking in Israel, President Donald Trump branded those responsible for the deadly suicide bombing at an Ariana Grande concert and other terrorist attacks “evil losers” on Tuesday.
“So many young, beautiful, innocent people living and enjoying their lives, murdered by evil losers,” he said in Bethlehem while standing next to Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas. “I won’t call them monsters because they would like that term, they would think that is a great name.” He added: “I will call them, from now on, losers because that’s what they are: losers.”
Later, in a speech at the Israel Museum in Jerusalem, Trump said the thoughts and prayers of the American people were with the victims and their loved ones in Manchester. “You’ve seen just a horrible thing going on,” the president said at the top of his speech, where he was joined by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and other Israeli officials. “Horrific, horrific injuries. Terrible. Doozens of innocent people. Beautiful young children, savagely murdered in a heinous attack upon humanity.”
Then moments ago, Trump also tweeted his solidarity with the UK, “We stand in absolute solidarity with the people of the United Kingdom.”
We stand in absolute solidarity with the people of the United Kingdom. pic.twitter.com/X6fUUxxYXE
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 23, 2017