Oil is soaring to $69.34/bbl, the highest price since 2014, after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accused Iran of secretly developing and building nuclear weapons.
As we noted earlier, according to Axios Bibi’s speech would be “hugely helpful for Trump” as it “builds the public case for Trump to blow up the Iran deal on May 12 by reimposing sanctions on Iran’s oil exports and central bank.”
In other words, it was up to Netanyahu to provide the media with cover for the next regional conflict: that between the US, its allies, Saudi Arabia and of course Israel on one side and Iran, Syria, Russia, and potentially China on the other. Or, as some would say, a true potential world war.
And sure enough, Bibi did not disappoint, revealing the Iranian “Atomic Archive” according to which as part of Project Amad, Tehran is secretly developing nuclear weapons.
Some highlights from Bibi’s just concluded speech:
- NETANYAHU SAYS ISRAEL CAN REVEAL “NEW AND CONCLUSIVE PROOF” THAT IRAN HAS BEEN HIDING NUCLEAR WEAPONS ACTIVITY
- NETANYAHU SAYS HE WILL SHOW `SOMETHING WORLD HAS NEVER SEEN’
- NETANYAHU SAYS HE WILL REVEAL IRAN’S `SECRET NUCLEAR FILES
- NETANYAHU SAYS “IRAN LIED” AFTER SIGNING NUCLEAR DEAL
- ISRAEL HAS SECRET FILES FROM IRAN NUCLEAR PLANS: NETANYAHU
- NETANYAHU SAYS ISRAEL HAS SHARED INCRIMINATING FILES WITH U.S.
- NETANYAHU SAYS U.S. HAS VERIFIED AUTHENTICITY OF FILES
- NETANHAYU SAYS IRAN HAD SECRET PLAN TO BUILD NUCLEAR WEAPONS
The punchline: Netanyahu accuses Iran of having a secret plan called “Project Amad” whose has a goal to produce five 10-kiloton nuclear weapons:
And some more soundbites:
- NETANYAHU SAYS PROJECT HAD ALL COMPONENTS FOR NUCLEAR WEAPONS
- NETANYAHU SAYS FILES PROVE IRAN `BRAZENLY LYING’
- NETANYAHU DISPLAYS ALLEGED IMAGES OF SECRET IRAN ARCHIVES
- NETANYAHU SAYS COVERT WORK CONTINUED BY IRAN OVER THE YEARS
- NETANYAHU SAYS 100,000 `SECRET FILES’ PROVE IRAN LYING
- NETANYAHU SAYS IRAN DEAL `SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN CONCLUDED’
And now the ball is in Trump’s court:
- NETANYAHU SAYS HE’S SURE TRUMP WILL `DO RIGHT THING’ ON DEAL
Which means that Trump’s next tweet could end the price of oil soaring, and potentially greenlight a middle-eastern conflict far greater than the proxy war in Syria.